TEXAS FLOWER GARDENS Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
is one of 14 federally designated underwater areas protected by NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries. It is the only sanctuary site located in the Gulf of Mexico and is the northern most reef in the world.
You likely to come across barracuda, schools of chub, sponges, various forms of soft and hard corals, wrasses, damesel fish, butterfly fish, grouper, parrot fish, puffers, eels, squirrel fish. The area is also known for the occasional sea turtle, whale shark and, depending on the season, hammerhead sharks.
The dive boat is run by Fling Charters out of Freeport, Texas. The Fling is a 100 foot live-aboard boat that sleeps around 27 passengers in bunk style in rooms.How many divers? M/V Fling carries 27 passengers, 3 trip leaders, and 7 boat crew, for a total of 37 people.
Here is what's provided;
- Tanks (if you're diving Nitrox)
- Nitrox Fills (tanks provided - bring your Nitrox certification card)
- Drinks (Soda & Beer Additional Charge
- Hot Plentiful Meals
- Clean & reasonably Comfortable Accommodations
Here is what's NOT provided;
- Bring all your dive gear. Including the below.
- Tanks (Air). Bring your own tanks if you plan on diving air
- Weights. They do not provide dive weights
- Bring a surface marker and a reel
- Dive computer.
- Dry clothes and towels.
- I would bring my own bedding and pillow.
Consider Bonine or other sea sickness medication if you are sensitive to being off shore on a boat. Consulting your physician is preferred and always a good idea.
Fling can be located at the below address;
702 W 2nd St, Freeport, TX 77541 (28.953770, -95.354499)
Important!This is considered advanced level diving. Because of the remoteness, depth and limited light penetration, we require that all divers provide proof of the below;
- Open Water Diver Certification. Make sure that you take your certification card with you.
- Advanced diving certification. Which must include the below;
- Deep Diving. Minimum depths of Flower Gardens trips exceed 70 foot with opportunities to dive much deeper. A Deep Diving certification is a must-have.
- Night and Limited Visibility. Because of the depth of the diving, and the possible opportunity for night dives, you must also have a certification in this area.
- 50 or more logged dives. This is a requirement of the Advanced diving rank for good reason. Divers with 24 dives should be mastering their buoyancy, have more confidence in the water, and in general be more experienced, safer divers.
- Nitrox. Performing repetitive dives at these depths will put a strain on your body's nitrogen tissue loading. Using Nitrox, within the specified limits, will make these diving profiles much safer. Make sure to bring your Nitrox certification card.
- A Doctor Signed Medical. Deep diving, and diving in a current, can produce a significant strain on the human body. Because of this, we would like to know that your doctor confirms that you are physically fit enough to perform these dives.
There will be a trip meeting a week or so prior to the event. At this meeting you will be required to turn in the below forms. Click on the links to download a copy.
This promises to be a lot of fun and we're looking forward to seeing you there!
||Dive Club Members
|Other Known Fees:
||You will need to get yourself to the dock in Freeport, TX by the boat departure date/time. Alcohol on the boat is extra.
Not a dive club member yet? Sign up HERE.
Note, due to changes in PayPal's refund policy, we will not be able to make complete refunds. When a refund is requested, you will be asked to choose one of the two below options;
- Price paid, minus 3%, to cover the PayPal fees
- Full price paid held in your dive club account for use on future dive club events
Dive Master: Matt Mangum
Google Maps driving directions from Tom's Dive and Swim.